May 2014

ANN ARBOR VETERANS COUNCIL

Meeting: June 24, 2014 Time: 10:30 – Noon Room: 728

Minutes for May meeting and AGENDA

April meeting minutes accepted.

Linda H.: Teresa K., Lori Y., Kirk L., Mark L., Paul J., &Terry K. participated in a meeting with VA CASE: This team is working on designing our new lobby. We gave our input to help make the lobby a useful “Welcome Center” for all Veterans. The planning will continue with everyone involved in the design process; a report will be presented to Leadership; the end of June is the target to have the drawings competed; and approval is anticipated to happen this Fall. Teresa K. Thanked Linda for her help in getting handles installed on the handicap restroom stall doors. Linda was contacted by the GI Clinic; a Veteran Focus Group will be setup to get input on ways to create peer support for Veterans receiving GI services. A team from the Milwaukee VA will be here on June 10 to see how Veteran-Centered Care works in our VA; Paul J. and Terry K. will join staff members in meetings with this team. The Dayton VA will also visit in the near future. WIFI has been installed in our medical center.

Paul J. said the VISN 11 meeting was very successful. His team included two Michigan VA directors (Battle Creek and Saginaw) and they want to talk with us about ways to start Councils at their locations. Another topic was getting Veterans enrolled so they can receive VA services; Paul is part of the Outreach Program at our VA. Paul J., Mark L., and Jon L. encourage their Buddy2Buddy troops to enroll when they are eligible.

Lori Y. suggested that the Council create a poster that addresses stigma and the important need to reduce/eliminate it. Council had an open discussion about doing this project. We will work on it during our next meeting.

Phillip Hinson (a Veteran working in our Pharmacy and he has had a GI operation) talked with us about starting a Vet-to-Vet group for GI Clinic patients. There is no peer support groups here or anywhere in the nation. Council encouraged him to start a group and we will help him. Teresa K. could get him a meeting room. Terry K. will follow up with Phillip. Council will be updated on his progress.

Mark L. said the Veterans Court and Mentor Program is working well and a new Coordinator has been put in place. The first class graduation will happen on June 17. Mentor volunteers are needed, please contact Mark.

Jon L. brought to our attention the need for proper disposal of Syringes (and other “sharps”). He gave us a website for more information: http://www.ewashtenaw.org/government/departments/environmental health/recycling home toxics/hhw/sharps html Linda H. will let us know what the VA does with sharps.

As always, please share our meeting information with other Veterans and people who care for/about us.

AGENDA

  1. Preliminary activities: Sign-in Sheet, Minutes acceptance, New Members.
  2. Linda’s Update.
  3. Paul J.
  4. The VA investigation.
  5. Erik C. – Mental Health Leadership Meeting.
  6. Stigma discussion.
  7. Vet-to-Vet.
  8. Other Thoughts, Topics, Comments, Suggestions.

 

Please mark your calendar – Our next Council meeting will be July 22, 2014, Tuesday, 10:30 – Noon in Room 728.

 

Members:

Terry Keck, Gary Bourdeau, Don Behm, Ed Roberts, Joe Riedy, Ryan Christman, Paul Jingozian, Maurice Warren, Alex Beach, Lori Young, Erik Cuolahan, Felicia West, Mark Lyubkin, Frank Kimberlin, Ron Lamirand, Brian Rounsifer, Greg Poulos, John Branstetter, Mark Lindke, Teresa Kamphorst, Linda Harrison, Billie Whittaker, Vicki Dawson, Derek Atkinson, C. Beau Nelson, Lloyd Suter, Bruce Schultz, Larry Blanchard, Bob Board, Jon Luker, Rick Donley, Asuki ONeill, Ray Pasquantonio, Kirk Lanam, Rudy Beegen